Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Lost for words

I'm halfway through my week of reading at every library on Auckland's North Shore, and it's been great fun so far. I read picture books like Cornelia Funke's Pirate Girl if there are little kids there, and read my book and answer questions about pirates, the books, writing, and anything else. Today we've even made treasure maps (and eaten quite a bit of treasure).
At Birkenhead this afternoon, I was delighted to meet a Maltese family, the Testas, who had come especially to give me a copy of the review Luke had written of my book. Here's some of it:
I thought it was a breathtaking story, although I usually do not enjoy reading pirate stories. I liked the way Kelly Gardiner put in Maltese words such as "merhba" and the fact that the story was based in Malta because it reminded me of the place where I was born and grew up... I recommend the book to other children because they can learn more about pirates and far away countries and because it's a good fun story.

Thanks Luke, and thanks to everyone who has come along to listen.
The last three gigs are:
5 July
10am Northcote library
2pm Devonport library
6 July
10am Takapuna library.
Maybe we'll see you there. I hope my voice lasts that long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home